i-Clicker Power Point remote
I had a hardware based remote, since the device was left on my laptop all the time it kind of got physically damaged, the whole contraption cost around 40 $. Now that it is dead I have no plans of buying another one at the same price that is when I started looking for an app based remote for my iPhone. Tried the free version of i-Clicker and was able to set it up, took a bit of time but eventually it worked. The free version is good for Power Point files with 15 slides, then it stops working, should restart if you want to continue working.
The paid app costs $9.99, I am not sure if it is worth this price, should have had a price of $ 3 or less as it has some inherent infrastructure problems. At home it works well as you are connected to your home network, but when you are making a presentation while on the move it is kind of difficult to get access to the local network; this can also slow the loading of your slides.
However if you plan to use this as a app on the go on Windows or Mac here is a workaround.(This will eventually cost you the same as a hardware based device) I had an old router lying around at home, which I was not using, so I decided to carry this along to my workplace or anywhere I wanted to use the presentation.
1. Set up a wireless network and connect both your iPhone and your laptop you plan to use to this network. This network need not be connected to the Internet.
2. Make sure you have iTunes installed on your computer as i-Clicker needs the Bonjour service which is used by iTunes
3. Download and install i-Clicker PC control on your computer, this is also available for your Mac.
4. Download and install the i-Clicker app on your iPhone, Android, W7 or windows mobile – it works on all of these phones
Now you are all set to fire up your remote and test your Power Point remote
5. Start your i-Clicker Control on your laptop PC or Mac, you will see the different options available for iPhone select Apple iOS. Here you will see three options
a) Standard wireless
b) Direct Wireless
If you have Bonjour installed and shows a green check mark that is the easiest to work, if you plan to use the Standard Wireless it will be a good idea to assign a static IP to your wireless network, as you will need it to configure your app on your iPhone
6. Start your i-Clicker, if it is the lite version it you tell you about the number of pages you can use, click continue, you will get two options
a) Direct connection using Bonjour – Your PC name with .local will indicate it – Select it if you plan to use Bonjour, your iPhone will be connected and then it will give you the option to select new presentation
b) If you go with manual connection, you will have to enter the IP address of your computer and click the blue arrow to continue and it will connect to your computer.
7. You may have either used choice 6 a) or b) does not matter it will both give you the option to select new presentation
8. As soon as you have selected new presentation, a browse folder will open up on your PC or Mac, now select the presentation you plan to use.
Now you will see this pop up on your laptop “i-Clicker is preparing your presentation please wait” one this is done your remote goes on to a screen on your iPhone which gives you options for setting up the timer, skip and it will take you to the remote page where you have the left and right red arrows.
9. You are all ready to use your remote, there are a number of menu options which you can play around with once you are set up.